Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Creamy White Chili

This recipe is from my sister-in-law, Emmy Lou. We ate the soup so fast, I didn't have time to get a picture. Everyone loved it!

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
2 cans (15 each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth (I made my own with water and chicken bouillon)
2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chilies
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

Directions:
In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Serve immediately.

Notes: This recipe served our family of 6 perfectly, but if you want leftovers or to offer seconds, make sure to double the recipe. I think I will do that next time so we can have it for lunch/dinner the next day.

I did not have rolls on hand, so I served it with tortilla chips. It would also be pretty to sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese and some cilantro on the top if you want to impress people!

No comments:

Post a Comment